Purple Cabbage & Sweet Potato Soup
When someone told me eat the rainbow, I think I took it way too literally! And, so I started with the colour purple. It also happens to be my favourite colour (and the hero colour of my book Whip it!).
The first thing that came to my mind was a big ball of purple cabbage. When you can have a cabbage or cauliflower soup, why not purple cabbage?! With some research and a bit of flavour visualisation, I rolled up my sleeves and tested this for the very first time. I added some sweet potato to balance the slight bitterness of the purple cabbage
My verdict: Lovely texture, a pinch of tanginess and whole lotta colour to brighten up your meal!
Olive oil, for frying
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250 grams purple cabbage, roughly chopped
1 medium sweet potato, chopped in cubes
1/2 litre vegetable stock
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
A pinch dried rosemary
1/4 cup cashews, soaked
Salt and pepper, for seasoning
1 tablespoon of cream for garnish
1. In a deep-bottom pot, heat some olive oil (like a tablespoon) and add the onions with the garlic. Fry till slightly translucent on medium heat.
2. Add the chopped cabbage and sweet potato; stir fry for a few minutes or until you see the cabbage leaves wilting.
3. Add the vegetable stock and the vinegar; give the ingredients a good stir and allow to simmer on low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Take off from the heat and allow to cool before blending. Pour the contents into the blender, add in the cashews and check once again the stock level and adjust the consistency (by adding water). Blend till all the contents are well blended. Transfer the soup into the same pot, heat slightly, adjust seasoning (I like mine just the way it is but do adjust the salt and pepper, as preferred.
5. Finish off with a swirl or a dollop of cream before serving!